Law Offices of Derek P. Wisehart
Local 559-429-5630
Toll free 800-742-6392

What do you know about veteran's courts?

As a veteran, it's possible that you could find yourself in trouble with the law at some point (just the same as anyone else).

If you are dealing with any type of substance addiction or mental illness, you may be able to have your case moved to a veteran's court. In short, this type of court is in place to address the specific challenges that many veterans face.

Whether you are eligible for veteran's court depends on many factors, including the area in which you live. Along with this, the offense must not be a violent or serious felony. You will also need to do the following:

  • Provide documentation that you are no longer on active duty
  • Provide documentation of your combat service
  • Voluntarily agree to move your case to veteran's court
  • Sign a waiver that gives the court the ability to access your medical records

A referral to veteran's court can come from many people, such as a defense attorney, police officer, prosecutor, probation office or judge.

At our law firm, we know the ins and outs of the veteran's court system in Tulare County, California. While there may be some challenges associated with moving a case to this type of specialty court, it's something to consider.

As a veteran who is in trouble with the law, you should learn more about your legal rights and the steps you can take to avoid serious punishment. In some cases, having your case moved to veteran's court could be the best decision you make. An attorney experienced with veteran's court can provide more information.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact The Law Offices of Derek P. Wisehart

Law Offices of Derek P. Wisehart
2330 W. Main St.
Visalia, CA 93291

Toll Free: 800-742-6392
Phone: 559-429-5630
Fax: 559-636-9476
Visalia Law Office Map