A Trial Lawyer You Can Trust

What happens if the driver who hits you flees the scene?

On Behalf of | Dec 27, 2019 | Uncategorized

A car accident can be frustrating, scary and overwhelming. But it can be even more so when the other driver involved in the crash leaves the scene without stopping. A driver might do this because they are uninsured, driving without a license or have other nefarious reasons to escape the police’s notice.

Take these steps if you were involved in a hit-and-run accident

Especially because California is not a no-fault state, it’s crucial that in a situation where the at-fault driver flees the scene, you get as much information about them as possible so that you can hold them accountable for the damages that they caused you.

Doing the following steps can be key in the aftermath of a hit-and-run car accident:

  • Take down the details — Car accidents, and especially hit-and-runs, can happen so quickly that you may not have time to process what happened. But the moment you see the other vehicle begin to drive off, it’s important that you write down any vehicle details that you are able. This includes license plate number, vehicle make, model, color or any other distinguishing details.
  • Call the police — You should always call the police to the scene of an accident so that they can assist you and report the crash. But it’s especially important to place a phone call to the police after a hit-and-run. If you provide the police with the details of the other car or the direction they drove off, an officer might be able to catch them.
  • Ask for eyewitness accounts — Someone else might have gotten a good look at the other driver, even if you were unable to. While you’re waiting for the police or an ambulance, talk to any potential witnesses who can give you details of the accident and write down or record their answers and their contact information.

Reviewing your legal options

When the other driver was at fault for your accident, it’s as crucial as ever that you find a way to track them down. Because if you can’t, it might be difficult to recover any damages unless you have insurance of your own that will cover you. If, however, the driver is found, you can file a personal injury claim against them for any injuries and damages they caused you.

Either way, a personal injury attorney may be able to answer your questions and help you seek the compensation you need to recover after a car accident.


RSS Feed

FindLaw Network

Our Practice Areas




Business And
Civil Litigation

Results And

You Need A Fighter On Your Side

Super Lawyers
State Bar Of California | CBLS | California Board Of Leal Specialization | Certified Since 2001
The National Trial Lawyers | Top 100 Trial Lawyers

How Can We Help You?